Friday, January 27, 2012

Vintage-y Rosie Dress

All of a sudden, I'm in love with vintage patterns and clothing. I can't get enough. Seriously, I just went on Etsy and "heart"-ed about 842 different vintage patterns. (Note: that may be an ever-so-slight exaggeration.)

Couple that with the fact that my lovely and stylish friend, Megan, just had an amazingly gorgeous little girl, and you get the Rosie Dress!


In case you're wondering, the fabric is Michael Miller's Children at Play. I thought it was so sweet and would fit well with the dress I had in my head.

Speaking of the idea for the design, I changed my mind quite a few times. First, I was going to have a square collar, but I thought that since I was making a 6-month-old size, she may be rolling and lying around quite a bit, and I didn't want the collar constantly flipping in her face. So faux collar it was.

I also originally was going to make a super wide A-line, but then I had visions of little Rosie, sitting with her skirt flared out all around her, and I couldn't very well pass that up! Full skirt!

 

Then I saw this adorable pattern with a drop waist and thought it was too cute.

And I just really wanted puffy sleeves. I just did.

So there are all the details on how it came to be. Sorry to bore you. I just had to get that out. :)

Dearest Rosie (and your mom),
I hope you love it!  I can hardly wait for you to get a little bigger, so you can wear it.  Six months seems so far away! :)
Love,
heather

P.S.  I can't decide; should I add buttons down the center of the faux collar??

4 comments:

  1. Adorable, both the fabric and the style. I can remember wearing dresses just like this with a dropped waist, as a child. I'd leave it as is, without the buttons...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too sweet..I wish my girls were still little:( Thanks for Linking up @CountryMommaCooks….Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wonderful, any little one would love to wear this !

    ReplyDelete

I love comments more than I love buying new fabric, and that's saying something. :)